Colorado Springs
88° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds
Advertisement

Metal in doughnut sends boy to hospital

Published On: Dec 24 2013 03:21:12 AM CST
Updated On: Aug 26 2013 03:39:25 PM CDT
Boy swallows metal in donut

Screengrab/WIBW

A sweet breakfast treat left a 6-year-old Kansas boy in the hospital.

Logan Ratai had to be taken to the hospital in Fort Riley on Sunday after biting into a glazed cake doughnut from the Wal-Mart bakery in Junction City, Topeka TV station WIBW reported.

Logan said the doughnut tasted crunchy. Then he chipped a tooth.

"There were pieces of black metal, some of them looked like rings, like washers off of a little screw, some of them were black metal fragments, like real sharp pieces," his mother, Kelly Ratai, told WIBW.

His parents brought him to the hospital after he complained of abdominal pains.

He's now facing a round of antibiotics and a clear liquid diet.

The bakery has pulled the doughnuts from its shelves, and a spokesman for Wal-Mart told WIBW they were investigating the incident.

Advertisement