Colo. Springs firefighters respond to chimney fire
Updated On: Dec 12 2012 01:34:03 PM CST
Colorado Springs firefighters responded to an early morning fire at a duplex in the 1300 block of West End Avenue.
Fire officials said they had to saw off part of the chimney to make sure the fire was under control.
Firefighters said they were able to contain the flames to the chimney, but the duplex unit suffered smoke and water damage.
Two people lived in the unit that caught fire, and one person lived in the adjoining unit.
All three people were able to get out safely before fire crews arrived.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury while fighting the fire. According to firefighters, she was taken to the hospital as a precaution, but is expected to recover.
Firefighters said that chimney fires become more common this time of year.
They encouraged homeowners to get their chimneys cleaned once a year. They also said if you light a fire, make sure it is completely out before leaving it unattended.
Firefighters said it is also important to make sure all smoke detectors in your home are working.
Copyright 2012 KRDO. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.