Colorado Springs
74° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds

Colo. Springs firefighters respond to chimney fire

Published On: Dec 12 2012 06:04:12 AM CST   Updated On: Dec 12 2012 01:34:03 PM CST

Colorado Springs firefighters battled a chimney fire early Wednesday morning.


Colorado Springs firefighters responded to an early morning fire at a duplex in the 1300 block of West End Avenue.

Fire officials said they had to saw off part of the chimney to make sure the fire was under control.

Firefighters said they were able to contain the flames to the chimney, but the duplex unit suffered smoke and water damage.

Two people lived in the unit that caught fire, and one person lived in the adjoining unit.

All three people were able to get out safely before fire crews arrived.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury while fighting the fire. According to firefighters, she was taken to the hospital as a precaution, but is expected to recover.

Firefighters said that chimney fires become more common this time of year.

They encouraged homeowners to get their chimneys cleaned once a year. They also said if you light a fire, make sure it is completely out before leaving it unattended.

Firefighters said it is also important to make sure all smoke detectors in your home are working.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus