Colorado Springs
58° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy

Crews extinguish house fire in Colo. Springs

Published On: Dec 31 2012 04:38:12 PM CST   Updated On: Dec 31 2012 09:59:18 PM CST

Woman, six kids escape injury.


The Colorado Springs Fire Department is investigating whether a child started a fire that damaged a home on Monday afternoon.

Firefighters extinguished the fire in the 2600 block of Paseo Road, near the intersection of Templeton Gap Road and East Van Buren Street.  The fire erupted just after 3:30 p.m. 

No one was hurt, but the fire leaves a woman, five children, two dogs and four cats temporarily without a home.  A sixth child was visiting at the time of the fire. 

A fire department spokesman and two next-door neighbors said the fire apparently started in a child's bedroom.

"According to the adult that was there, they tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher and were unable to," said Lt. Jeff Sievers.

"One of the little kids who came over, said that it was in his room, and that he was sitting at his bed when the fire started, and he tried to put it out with a cup of water," said neighbor Colleen Purcell.

Sievers said the closest fire station was responding to another call, so other units filled in -- delaying their arrival by as much as five minutes.  He said the fire would have been minor otherwise. 

The Red Cross will assist the family with any needs.  The children's ages range from 4 to 13.

"I know the little kids," said Purcell.  "They come over to my house all the time needing sugar, milk and eggs.  The really little boy comes over a lot.  Sometimes he'll sit and watch TV with me."


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus