Springs automotive shop investigated for fraud
Updated On: Sep 05 2012 06:33:24 PM CDT
Detectives with the Colorado Springs Financial Crimes Unit executed a search warrant at Springs Transmissions and Automotive Service on Wednesday.
Police say that they were advised of possible theft through fraudulent business practices at the business, located in the 3300 block of Chelton Loop. Detectives learned that 22 victims, many of them elderly or of limited financial means, had taken their vehicles to the business for repairs.
On Wednesday, detectives executed three search warrants on property owned or leased by Springs Transmissions and Automotive. Police say there may be upwards of 50 victims of the business and its practices.
Complaints received center on the following, according to police:
• Money was paid for work that was never completed
• Business not releasing vehicles to owners after work was not started, completed or authorized forcing owners to pay in cash to have vehicle returned
• Unauthorized repairs, often unnecessary, were completed and charged for
• Theft of parts and / or vandalism to vehicles while in business' care
• Customer's vehicles used by owner and employees as personal transportation
• Repairs were completed with substandard or defective parts often resulting in further damage to vehicle while owner was charged for new or higher priced parts / components
The owner of the business, 37-year-old Gregory Ehnes, is being investigated for these and other related crimes.
If you feel you may be a victim or if you have any information regarding these crimes, call Springs police at 719-444-7000.
In June of 2011, the US Department of Labor's OSHA cited Springs Transmission and Automotive for exposing workers to a variety of workplace hazards.
According to the Better Business Bureau, Springs Transmissions also has a history of violating BBB name and logo policy and has falsely stated BBB accreditation.
Stay with KRDO.com and NewsChannel 13 for updates.
Copyright 2012 KRDO. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.