Colorado Springs
68° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy

Clerk and Recorder’s Office adjusts policies to help Black Forest Fire victims

Published On: Jun 18 2013 02:50:06 PM CDT   Updated On: Jun 18 2013 03:05:23 PM CDT

The El Paso County Clerk and Recorder’s Office is temporarily changing some policies for those who have lost or had to evacuate their home.  “We are waiving fees for those who lost vital documents in the fire.  If you’re worried about replacing your home, you shouldn’t have to worry about paying fees to replace documents like your marriage license and vehicle titles,” Clerk and Recorder Wayne Williams said in a news release. 

Victims of the Black Forest Fire will find the following changes in the Clerk and Recorder's Office:

Recording Department

  • No fees will be charged for replacement of copies of marriage licenses, deeds, or any other applicable documents for fire victims. This change will be in effect through Aug. 31, 2013.

Motor Vehicle

  • No fees will be charged for replacement copies of driver's licenses, vehicle registration, titles, duplicate tags, or any other applicable documents for fire victims. This change will be in effect through Aug. 31, 2013.
  • If a vehicle's registration lapsed in May, the "grace period" for avoiding the late fee will extend from June 30 to July 15. This change will be in effect for all those in any evacuation zone, regardless of whether their home was damaged or destroyed.
  • If a vehicle registration fee was paid between May 12 and June 12 and the vehicle was destroyed by the fire, the owner can get a full refund of their vehicle registration fee through July 15, 2013.
  • If a vehicle was destroyed by the fire but was registered before May 12, the owner may get the amount paid for their registration credited towards the registration fees of a replacement vehicle.

Clerk to the Board/Liquor Licenses

  • Liquor-licensed businesses affected by the fire can call 719-520-6430 for information.


Those who experienced a home loss should expect a letter from the Elections Department regarding their voter registration options in advance of the November 2013 Coordinated Election.

Fire victims can call 719-520-7322 if they have any questions or concerns they need to relay to the Clerk and Recorder's Office.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus