CSPD: Butane fuel used in attempt to make hash oil causes explosion
Colorado Springs Police believe an explosion at an apartment Saturday night (3/1/14) was the result of an attempt to make hash oil, a potent extract of marijuana.
The explosion happened shortly before 10 p.m. at the Westview Apartments on University Dr.
When first responders arrived, they found a 51-year-old man outside of the apartment complex who said he lived in the apartment where the explosion happened. Police say a 29-year-old man was also inside the apartment. Neither were hurt during the blast.
Police say evidence from the scene suggests the two men were in the process of making hash oil and were using butane fuel. Investigators believe the butane fuel ignited, causing the explosion.
The 51-year-old man, Lee Brown, was arrested on suspicion of unlawful possession, manufacturing of a controlled substance and reckless endangerment.
Copyright 2014 KRDO. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.