Colorado Springs
50° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds

Halloween can have more tricks than treats, especially for pets

Published On: Oct 31 2013 07:56:35 PM CDT

There are many dangers associated with Halloween that can turn an evening of costumes and candy into a nightmare for pet owners.

With an abundance of Halloween candy comes an abundance of potential problems for pets.

Chocolate is at the top of the list of toxic candies for pets.  It is because of the presence of theobromine in the chocolate, which can cause vomiting, bloating and diarrhea.

According to Dr. Megan Pansiera with North Academy Veterinary Hospital, the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is.

"You could eat a bag of chocolate and be really sick, but if it's milk chocolate or white chocolate, then you're not really in that big of trouble," said Pansiera.

Sugar-free candies can also be dangerous because of the presence of xylitol, which can cause liver damage in pets. 

Candy wrappers can also cause damage to the intestines of pets.  If a pet is suspected to have gotten into the candy, call the vet immediately.

Pet owners should also consider putting animals in a separate room, as the constant visitors on Halloween can cause anxiety in dogs.

Costumes can also cause a concern, so be sure to monitor your animal closely if they will be dressing up this year.

"Costumes on dogs are very cute, but if your dog eats his costume, you could be looking at a very pricey surgery," said Pansiera.

For more tips on keeping your pet safe, click here.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus