Halloween is right around the corner and trick-or-treating, parties, haunted houses or other types of get-togethers can be great fun. Everyone needs to enjoy these activities safely, so please make sure you and your children follow these simple tips:
- Children should always be accompanied by a trusted adult, and no one should trick-or-treat alone. Trick-or-treaters should do a head-count for their group after leaving each house.
- Make sure children know to not get in a vehicle with a stranger or person they don’t trust, and to never enter a vehicle or home for a treat. They should only approach homes that are well-illuminated and that appear welcoming for treat-or-treaters.
- Trick-or-treaters should try to stay on the sidewalks and out of the roadway.
- Specify a time at which your children should return home, and make sure they carry a cell phone so that you can check in on them from time to time, and make sure they know to call 911 in case of an emergency.
- Look for costumes that won’t make it difficult for the trick-or-treater to walk or run and if the costume has a mask, make sure it doesn’t block their vision.
- Have trick-or-treaters carry flashlights or glow sticks for when they are out and about, and add reflective tape to costumes or candy bags to increase visibility in the dark
- Inspect all candy before allowing your children to eat it. Toss out anything that looks suspicious, is unwrapped, or appears to have been tampered with.
- Notify the Police immediately if you witness any suspicious activity or unsafe conditions.
SOURCE: The Cañon City Police Department