Colorado Springs
36° F
Light Snow
Light Snow
Advertisement

Investigators blame smoking while cleaning with lacquer thinner for fire

Published On: Feb 10 2014 01:31:52 PM CST

Courtesy: Mario Vigil

FOUNTAIN, Colo. -

The fire department says one person was burned and a home was badly damaged in a weekend fire.

Firefighters were dispatched to the home at 6670 S. Highway 85/87 at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, February 8, 2014.

Smoke and flames were coming from several windows when firefighters arrived at the home five minutes after they received the call.

One person was treated for burns and smoke inhalation at the scene. No one else was hurt.

Fire investigators say the fire started when someone was smoking while using lacquer thinner to clean a bathroom floor. The lacquer thinner, which is extremely flammable according to firefighters, was ignited by the cigarette.

The fire department says smoke and fire damage are extensive throughout the house and that it is not safe to live there.

The Red Cross was called to help the displaced family.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement