Colorado Springs
57° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy

Neighbors being careful after house explosion

Published On: Nov 15 2013 03:41:59 PM CST   Updated On: Nov 15 2013 03:42:41 PM CST

Neighbors who live around Chaparral Road are taking extra precaution after a natural gas leak led to a house explosion.

Colorado Springs Fire Capt. Dave Vitchmar battled the explosion.

"The amount of pressure that built up, to blow that much material out was pretty impressive," Vitchmar said.

He said natural gas is easy to detect because utilities add in a rotten egg smell, but to make sure gas leaks don't happen to you, he suggests to have gas appliances checked once a year.

Which is advice Wanda Grosche is following. 

"I guess we better all get busy and get our (gas) lines checked," she said.

Neighbors say the people who lived in the exploding house are now out of the hospital and living with friends, and had another house that was burned down by the Black Forest fire.

People in the area are trying to raise money for the couple by having a block party.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus