Plane crash drill happening at Springs airport, area hospitals
Updated On: May 08 2014 12:43:34 PM CDT
The city of Colorado Springs says you may see emergency vehicles, flames and smoke Thursday (5/8/14) as part of an emergency training exercise that is required by the Federal Aviation Administration.
Service at the airport will not be affected.
The city says it wants people to know about the exercise so that they don't panic if they see what looks like a real mass casualty emergency happening near the airport or at local hospitals.
The first part of the exercise will focus on training emergency responders on dealing with a plane crash site. The second part will focus on training local hospitals on how to deal with the large amount of seriously injured patients that may be brought in should an airliner go down in our area.
Phase one is scheduled to run from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. It's happening off of Cresterra Parkway between Embraer Heights and powers Blvd. Cresterra will be closed between Embraer Heights and Powers from 4 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The city says you may see smoke, fire, emergency vehicles, buses with “patients”, medevac helicopters and police foot patrols in the area during the training.
Phase two of the exercise will happen from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Memorial Hospital Central and North, Penrose Hospital, St. Francis Medical Center and Evans Army Community Hospital.
The city says you may see "airplane crash victims" with stage makeup to simulate serious injuries being transported by emergency vehicles and buses to local hospitals around Colorado Springs.
The Federal Aviation Administration requires all airports with scheduled air carrier service to conduct a full-scale emergency exercise every three years with less extensive exercises all other years.
Thursday's drill has been named SkyFall and the city will be tweeting information about it using the hashtag #SkyFallCOS.
The following 46 agencies will participate in the exercise:
- City of Colorado Springs Office of Emergency Management
- Colorado Springs Airport
- Colorado Springs Fire Department
- Colorado Springs Police Department
- Colorado Springs Dispatch
- Colorado Springs Public Works and Transit Services
- Colorado Springs Public Information
- El Paso County Emergency Services
- El Paso County Sheriff's Office
- El Paso County Public Health
- El Paso County Coroner’s Office
- Ft. Carson
- Peterson Air Force Base
- Memorial Hospital-UC Health (Central and North locations)
- Penrose-St. Francis Health Services
- Evans Army Community Hospital
- American Medical Response
- Black Forest Fire
- Cimarron Hills Fire
- Falcon Fire
- Fountain Fire/Transport
- Security Fire
- Tri-Lakes Fire and Transport
- Colorado State Patrol
- Delta Airlines
- Flight for Life
- Memorial Star
- Salvation Army
- Red Cross
- Aspen Pointe
- Bonfils Blood Center
- Rocky Mountain Mobile Medical
- Medical Reserve Corps of El Paso County
Copyright 2014 KRDO. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.